Baking is my thing! There is just something about playing around in the kitchen that makes me happy. My kitchen is my (other) happy place. Since moving towards a more plant based diet, I seem to be spending more and more time baking different things and this is where my training as a professional baker comes in. I like to make sure that all my creations are quick, easy and of course something my boys will enjoy. So, after grocery shopping and coming home with a big pint of organic blueberries I decided to bake with them. Originally I was going to make a loaf, but I just find muffins are the perfect serving size and easier to pack.
These came out amazing, with no alterations needed to the first go at the recipe! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did ( yes, past tense because they are already all gone )
Makes approx 20 muffins.
1 1/4 Cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour ( for Gluten free use All purpose gluten free baking mix)
1/2 Cup Organic Quick Oats
1 Scoop Pea Protein ( optional)
1/3 Cup Coconut Sugar
1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp flax meal mixed with 3 tbsp warm water- let sit for 5 min)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1tsp Baking Soda
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 ripe banana
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp oil ( I use avocado oil- you can use olive oil, coconut oil or grapeseed oil)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp Unsweetened Almond milk ( you can use any other milk alternative you like)
1 cup fresh ( or frozen) blueberries
Pumpkin seeds for topping ( optional)
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffins tins
- In a large bowl, mash banana and add coconut sugar, vanilla extra, flax egg and oil and mix well
- add: flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, pea protein, salt and cinnamon. Add 1/2 amount of almond milk and begin to mix. then add other 1/2 of almond milk
- with a spatula, fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
- using an ice cream scooper or spoon scoop mix into muffin tins, top with seeds and bake for 15-16 minutes turning trays at the 10 minute mark.
- once done, let cook on baking rack.
- serve and enjoy!!
store in air tight container for up to 3 days on counter. These will also freeze very well!