Vegan- Banana Nut Muffins ( with GF option)
Serving: 20-24 Muffins ( depending on muffin tin size)
You know me, I love playing around in the kitchen, especially when it comes to baking. Since moving towards a more plant based diet, my baking skills have been coming in handy.
This recipe started with my kids asking for me to make my banana loaf. Naturally I needed to come up with a vegan version of it, that had some added health benefits.
Usually it takes me a few tries to get the recipe right, but not this time. Got is bang on the first try! It’s super moist, fluffy and delish! It’s also packed with protein, fiber and essential nutrients ( bingo!)
1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp flax meal, 3 tbsp water- let sit for 5 minutes)
3 ripe bananas
1 ¼ cup- Whole wheat flour ( GF option- GF baking flour mix)
1 cup quick oats
1 scoop Pea Protein ( optional)
1tbsp chia seeds/hemp seeds (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
½ cup coconut sugar ( or you can use brown sugar)
2tbsp cane sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup oil ( Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or grape seed oil)
¼ cup natural peanut butter
½ cup almond milk ( your choice- but I use unsweetened)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease/line muffin tins- set aside
- In a small bowl- mix all dry ingredients except for sugars, and set aside
- In a large bowl, mash bananas, add flax egg, vanilla extract, peanut butter and oil. Mix well, then add coconut sugar and cane sugar. Mix well
- Add dry ingredients and start to mix using a spatula. Add almond milk and mix until well combined
- Using an ice cream scooper ( or a tablespoon) scoop batter into tins
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. I have a gas oven, so my cooking time is less than a standard conventional oven, it make take a few extra minutes in a conventional oven.
The muffins will last up to 3 days on your counter in an airtight container, up to a week in your fridge or you can freeze them.
To make these school safe, you can eliminate the peanut butter, I actually just made a batch this morning without the PB, and it still came out delicious.